Traditional Gingerbread Contest
November 30, 2018 @ 10:00 am - January 5, 2019 @ 6:00 pm
Christmas is the time when almost everyone turns to classic traditions for decorating ideas and inspiration. Any structure is allowed in this category. Victorian, colonial, modern, house, barn, cottage – you decide.
• Authentic Reproduction of a Significant Building: How much icing would it take to build the Capital Building, Big Ben, or the Empire State Building? This is the ultimate test of realism in the art of building with gingerbread! Any well-known building will do. Your display must include a picture of the real thing.
• Incredibly Unusual 3-Dimensional Gingerbread Creation: Make a gingerbread creation that is out of the ordinary. Gingerbread structures need not be of a traditional design. Be creative. Let your imagination run Yuletide wild! No buildings or houses are allowed in this category. Show us your Christmas spirit.
Entry Forms: There is no fee to enter. The deadline for completed entry forms is Dec. 1, 2018.
Entry Drop Off: Completed houses must be brought to Feathered Nest on Friday, November 30, between the hours of 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. All entries must remain in Feathered Nest for display from December 1, 2018 through January 5, 2019. Entries will not be removed before the January 5, 2019.
Judging: Entries will be judged the day of December 9th 2018. Entries will be judged on a scale of 1-5 based on: 1. Overall appearance / Composition of the design 2. Originality / Imagination / Use of materials 3. “Fit” in category 4. Difficulty of design / Design execution 5. “Christmas Spirit” incorporated in the design
Entry Specifics: • Please include a 3” x 5” card on your display base listing your name, address, email address, telephone number, and the category you have entered. Please include any details about your entry that you feel might be important to the judges, such as the edible items you have used that are unusual, your entry’s name, etc.
• Use of gingerbread: Creations must be constructed mainly of gingerbread (more than 50%)
• Non-visible interior supports: Non-edible materials may be used for non-visible supports.
• Everything visible on your entry MUST be edible: For example, candy in a foil wrapper is non- edible – you must remove the foil. The only exception is the edges of the board on which your entry is mounted.
• Please carefully note the display board rules: All entries must be mounted on a sturdy piece of plywood display board proportionally appropriate to the size of the gingerbread creation. The size for display boards for all categories is 18” x 18”. The display board should act as an integral part of your design, and be size appropriate to your creation. Don’t use a board and leave it unincorporated in your overall design – it should complement your creation. The base is considered part of the judging criteria
Entry Pick Up: All entries must be picked up Saturday, January 5, 2019 between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. Any entries that are not picked up by this time will become the property of Feathered Nest.